May 22, 2017 MyNewsLA.com
 

Suit against Vin Diesel’s ‘xXx’ sequel from ex-business partner dismissed

View full-size article





POSTED BY DEBBIE L. SKLAR ON MAY 22, 2017 IN HOLLYWOOD photo: Vin Diesel speaking at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con International, for “Riddick”, at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Photo by Gage Skidmore from Peoria, AZ, United States of America (Vin DieselUploaded by Dudek1337) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons.

Suit against Vin Diesel’s ‘xXx’ sequel from ex-business partner dismissed


Suit against Vin Diesel’s ‘xXx’ sequel from ex-business partner dismissed POSTED BY DEBBIE L. SKLAR ON MAY 22, 2017 IN HOLLYWOOD | 101 VIEWS | LEAVE A RESPONSE Vin Diesel speaking at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con International, for “Riddick”, at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Photo by Gage Skidmore from Peoria, AZ, United States of America (Vin DieselUploaded by Dudek1337) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons. A judge Monday dismissed a breach of contract lawsuit that a producer filed against Vin Diesel and a production company, alleging the plaintiff was owed at least $200,000 and a film credit for a sequel to the movie “xXx.” Adopting a tentative ruling he issued Friday, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge John Doyle said George Zakk had more than ample opportunity to amend his lawsuit to provide more details in support of his claims against Diesel and Revolution Studios, the producers of “xXx.” “Along about the fourth time out we need to be done,” Doyle said. Attorneys for the defendants maintained the lawsuit was filed too late. Lawyer Bryan Freedman, on behalf of Diesel, said Doyle’s ruling was correct and called the latest version of Zakk’s suit a “sham pleading.” However, Zakk’s attorney, A. Raymond Hamrick, said the case is not over. “I’m confident the ruling will be overturned on appeal,” Hamrick said. It was the third time Doyle had given Zakk’s lawyers a chance to amend their complaint, having previously done so last August and again in November. According to the suit filed in May 2016, Zakk and Diesel started a business relationship in 1995 in which the plaintiff helped the “The Fast and the Furious” co-star pursue his acting and producing career. In 2001, they formed a production company called One Race Films, the suit stated. Zakk received a production fee for each film in which he assisted Diesel, including “xXx” in 2002, according to his court papers. The two ended their business relationship in 2007, but Zakk claimed he was still entitled to fees and credits from future films that the plaintiff helped develop on behalf of Diesel while running One Race Films. Zakk has not been compensated or received a film credit for the “xXx” sequel, “xXx: The Return of Xander Cage,” which he is entitled to by virtue of his work on the original film, the suit stated. The “xXx” sequel was released in January and starred the 49-year-old Diesel — best known for his role in the “Fast and Furious” franchise — and Samuel L. Jackson. —City News Service